Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Italy - Cycling in Albinia

Tuscany is home to some of the best cycling in the world, so we're traveling with a good friend: my bike. The Sci-Con travel case has performed as beautifully as it looks, is easy to maneuver, and (contrary to popular opinion and my own intuition) fits snugly in a station wagon with five bags, a baby and a stroller. This morning I unpacked and drove to a little farm town called Albinia, 30 minutes out of Porto Santo Stefano. The ride was relatively short, about an hour, but now that I have a little experience I plan to ride most days.

Today's highlights: Agriturismo upon agriturismo in gorgeous rolling farmland; angry bike-chasing Italian wolf/dog with apparently nothing else to do; discovering the Back to Start feature of my bike GPS, which is perfect for cycling unfamiliar territory in an unfamiliar country; and the tail 7 miles of my ride in the afternoon rain.

No comments: